We propose to:
- Identify the work zone related safety problem(s) by analyzing associated crash causal factors, types and locations relative to the work zone approach direction or other work zone characteristics.
- Identify current problems that may be occurring as a result of limitations of static signage and/or of management of static signage.
- Focus on solving “real” problems that consider actual field situations and the constraints associated with personnel that usually deploy assets at work zones.
- Design a readily deployable methodology for driver warning that reduces risky behavior around the work zone, which captures the driver attention and is compelling.
- Consider methods NOT associated with common automated speed enforcement approaches.
- Define our tasks in such a way that we can move forward in steps and develop approaches in measurable stages.